Diffusing: About diffusers and which diffuser is best
Diffusing is one of the most popular ways to use your Young Living therapeutic-grade essential oils. Whether for aromatherapy purposes or to combat odors, germs or viruses - diffusing therapeutic-grade essential oils is a sure winner for improved wellness.
Diffusing to Eliminate Odors
Diffused therapeutic-grade essential oils alter the structure of molecules that create odors, rather than simply masking them. They also increase oxygen availability and produce negative ions.
Important Note: when you become a wholesale customer or distributor you will get a $40 off mail-in coupon towards a diffuser - highly recommended, see details here.
History of Diffusing
The term “aromatherapy” was coined by the French chemist René-Maurice Gattefossé in the early 1920s. Gattefossé spent his life devoted to essential oils and their healing properties. However, for more than 6,000 years prior to Gattefossé, aromatherapy had been used by the Egyptians, Romans, and the Greeks. Imhotep, an Egyptian physician, suggested that oils be used for massage, bathing, and embalming the dead. Hippocrates, known as the father of modern medicine, used aromatic smoke and vapors to purge Athens of the plague.
Today, much has been theorized regarding the effects of diffusing essential oils, which can be considered similar to the aromatic smoke used by Hippocrates. It has been hypothesized that when essential oils are diffused, they can increase atmospheric oxygen by releasing oxygenating molecules into the air. Not only can essential oils increase oxygen in the atmosphere, they also increase the body’s ability to transport oxygen into the cells. The lipid-soluble structure of essential oils allows them to easily penetrate the cell membranes of the nose and enter into the bloodstream. Once in the bloodstream, the oils can help transport oxygen and nutrients into the cells.
Primary Benefits of Diffusing
- Transform your surroundings: Create a relaxing, spa-like atmosphere or instantly brighten the mood of your home or office.
- Eliminate odors: Remove lingering smells without resorting to synthetic air fresheners.
- Protect your family’s health: Safeguard your family’s health by detoxing your home from harmful household chemicals.
Research shows that cold air diffusing certain essential oils can help:
- Reduce bacteria, fungus, mold, and unpleasant odors
- Relax the body, relieve tension and clear the mind
- Improve concentration, alertness, and mental clarity
- Stimulate neurotransmitters
- Stimulate secretion of endorphins
- Stimulate growth hormone production and receptivity
- Improve hormonal balance
- Relieve headaches
- Uplift mood
Start by diffusing your Young Living essential oils for 15-30 minutes, one to four times a day for normal situations.
Two Tips for Selecting the Right Diffuser
There are many types of diffuser's on the market today, here are a few things you should know in order to make an educated decision.
- It is very bad practice to use a diffuser that uses heat as a means of dispersing the essential oil into the air. Heat fractures the molecules of the essential oil destroying the beneficial properties. While an essential oil may still smell good, it contains very little if any therapeutic benefit, and can even create toxic compounds. Types of diffusers that use heat and are NOT recommended are: plug-in, candle, burner, aroma lamps, and light bulb rings.
- If you are eliminating or preventing a mold situation the only diffuser recommended is the "Essential Oil Diffuser" (cold-air, nebulizer) shown below. The other diffuser's are not recommended for mold because they will not provide a shock-treatment to combat mold, and others are dispersed with water.
This is perhaps the best type of diffuser as it is the most versatile for all purposes. The benefits of the "Essential Oil Diffuser" diffuser are that it puts the essential oil into the air in micro-fine particles that stay suspended in the air for several hours. This is beneficial because in order to kill micro-organisms and mold you must get the essential oil into the air so that it can come into contact with the molecules or mold spores that you are looking to eliminate.
Note: This type of diffuser is the one recommended for preventing and eliminating mold.
Tips for using the Nebulizer Essential Oil Diffuser:
- Never dilute your essential oil with a carrier oil or water as this may ruin your nebulizer diffuser.
- Put your diffuser on a timer. At a local hardware store, purchase a light timer and plug your nebulizer diffuser into it, set the times you want the diffuser to go on and off to have essential oil purified air conveniently. Hint: Set the timer to go on first thing in the morning, just before you get home from work, and again before you go to bed at night.
- For Mold issues, please see the Mold page of this website to learn how to properly use a nebulizer diffuser and Thieves essential oil for preventing and eliminating mold.
See good choices for essential oils below.
Aria™ Ultrasonic Diffuser
The Aria ™ Ultrasonic Diffuser is a unique, stylish way to bring the benefits of essential oils into your home or workplace. This system combines the latest in diffuser technology with a variety of useful features. The included remote lets you choose from a selection of soothing, built-in sounds or enjoy the multicolored LED lights. With the built-in speakers, you can plug in your own personal music device and enjoy the music of your choice.
Aria Demo Video
TheraPro Premium Diffuser
Enjoy the ultimate therapeutic experience and the most advanced diffuser technology with Young Living’s TheraPro™ Premium Diffuser. This atomizing diffuser features durable, high-quality components that will stand up to repeated use in any environment and is the ideal way to experience the healing benefits of Young Living essential oils.
The TheraPro™ Diffuser can also be used to treat mold when you use the highest setting for 24 hours.
Therapro Demo Video
See good choices for essential oils below.
Young Living's Home Diffuser emits essential oils into the air using ultrasonic technology to safely eliminate odors. The Home Diffuser is a natural alternative to synthetic air fresheners.
Home Diffuser combines the latest in diffuser technology with increased usability. By breaking up a mixture of water and essential oil into millions of micro-particles, the Home Diffuser disperses an aromatic mist into the air, activating the beneficial constituents found in Young Living Therapeutic Grade™ essential oils. The diffuser comes complete with continuous and internal timer settings and the option to enjoy its soothing light system. Ideal for diffusing any of your favorite essential oils, it’s the perfect addition to any room in your home.
The Home Diffuser includes a free 5 ml bottle of Lavender and Citrus Fresh essential oils.
Travel Fan Diffuser (battery operated)
Get the wellness benefits of aromatherapy on the go in this easy to use portable Travel Fan Diffuser!
Perfect for smelly,cars and smelly hotel rooms!
The Travel Fan Diffuser is a perfect way to help relieve tension, dispel odors, and create an atmosphere of peace and harmony in the car, office cubicle, and hotel rooms. It works by blowing room temperature air across the pad that you have placed drops of the essential oil of your choice.
Unique Features of the Travel Fan Diffuser
- Entirely mobile - easy to take anywhere!
- No electricity needed - battery operated
- Quiet and powerful mini fan
- Will gently scent a room up to 1,000 sq.ft. (More drops of essential oil may be needed for rooms larger than 600 sq.ft.)
- Lightweight design
- Perfect for: cars, hotel rooms, office cubicles, sleep-over, school, hospital and nursing home rooms and visits
- Simple to use! Apply 15-20 drops of your favorite Young Living essential oil on the pad, slide the essential oil pad back into the pad holder, press down once on the on/off button to start the diffuser, and press the button to turn off. A green light will appear when the unit is functioning.
For Emotional Wellness
The natural properties found in therapeutic essential oils produce a soothing, uplifting effect on the mind and emotions. When an essential oil containing the optimum level of therapeutic constituents is diffused or applied topically, the result fosters a sense of emotional balance and well being.
When the aroma of essential oils is inhaled the scent travels to the reticular system of the brain stem where emotions and memories are connected. This enables essential oils to improve emotional wellness in many ways. Those haunted by negative memories can use a cleansing blend, and in times of stress or mental fatigue a rejuvenating oil can remove emotional stressors and leave you feeing mentally invigorated. Other essential oils increase feelings of courage and determination when faced with life's many challenges.
Regardless of your emotional health, the therapeutic properties harnessed in Young Living Therapeutic Grade™ (YLTG) oils can help you improve or regain an optimal state of emotional wellness.
- Lemon (mental accuracy, concentration)
- Lavender (relaxing, calming)
- Joy (uplifting, soothing)
- Motivation blend (balancing, overcome feelings of fear)
- Citrus Fresh blend (mentally stimulating, fresh and uplifting scent)
- Abundance blend (harmonic magnetic energy, perfect for Law of Attraction practitioner's)
- Magnify Your Purpose blend (right brain, creativity, intention)
For the Mind
Smell is the only one of the five senses directly linked to the limbic lobe—the emotional control center—of the brain. From anxiety to tension, fatigue to stress, essential oils have long been appreciated for their uplifting, calming, and clarifying effects on emotional wellness. By diffusing essential oils or applying them topically to targeted areas of the body, therapeutic constituents reestablish balance where stress or mental discomfort has disrupted healthy emotional function. To bring yourself into a state of emotional balance, consider using essential oils for aromatherapy and massage therapy.
- Citrus Fresh blend (uplifting, focus)
- Brain Power blend (clarity)
- Clarity blend (clarity, mental alertness, focusing)
- Peppermint (alertness, mind stimulating)
- Orange (uplifting, antidepressant) (tip: use in combination with Lavender)
- Tangerine (calming, anxiety, nervousness, promotes happiness)
- Harmony blend (physical and emotional healing)
- Peace & Calming blend (relaxing, sense of peace)
- Pine (relieves anxiety, revitalizes mind/body)
- Transformation blend (helps to release unwanted imprinted memories, empowers changes)
For Germs, Viruses, and Airborne Bacteria
Many therapeutic-grade essential oils are well studied and known for their ability to fight microorganisms, germs, bacteria, and viruses. Diffusing is an excellent way to help purify indoor air, which may help lessen the changes of colds and flu. Try any of these essential oils, or combine 2 or 3 together, to prevent illness in your home.
- Thieves blend (yes, this is the famous blend you've heard of, germs, mold, and much more!)
- Purification blend (dispels odors, mold, germs)
- R.C. blend (anti-infectious, anti-viral, MRSA / Staph)
- Lemongrass (antifungal, antibacterial, MRSA / Staph, purifying)
- Thyme (highly antimicrobial, antifungal, purifying - terrific blended with other essential oils)
- Citrus Fresh (air purifier, uplifting scent)
Preventing mold is easy and cheap! Please, do not wait until your home gets mold.
This list of essential oils both helps eliminate and prevent toxic mold.
Preventing Mold: it is highly recommended to diffuse for 30 minutes, one to three times a day.
Eliminating Mold: Only the "Essential Oil Diffuser" and the TheraPro™ Diffuser can be used for mold issues. Read the information on the Mold Page for more on preventing and eliminating toxic mold.
- Thieves blend (not for Aspergillus pennicillium)
- Lemongrass (add this to Thieves if Aspergillus pennicillium is an issue)
- Thyme (add this to Thieves if Aspergillus pennicillium is an issue)
- Oregano (add this to Thieves if Aspergillus pennicillium is an issue)