A Passion for Essential Oils and Wellness
D. Gary Young’s commitment to understanding the remarkable therapeutic power of plants has resulted in the world’s largest line of essential oils and blends. Gary has traveled the globe discovering how to best support both physical health and emotional wellness. His discoveries have helped hundreds of thousands of people experience the benefits of natural healing and have led to the creation of the world’s largest and foremost authority on essential oils sciences: Young Living Essential Oils.
Gary Young Establishes Therapeutic-Grade Standard
Gary Young established the term “therapeutic-grade,” now known as Young Living Therapeutic Grade™ (YLTG), as a guarantee that Young Living will only sell 100% pure, natural, uncut oils that maintain the vital therapeutic potency.
As Gary traveled the world studying the distillation of pure essential oils, he saw wide discrepancies in quality and learned that in order to ensure purity and potency, expert, rigorous analysis of finished oils was critical.
Using gas chromatography (GC) and mass spectrometry (MS) analysis, and isotopic ratio mass spectrometry (IRMS) analysis, done on every batch of essential oil. These analysis are done to ensure an oils phytochemical profile, a measurement to evaluate each specific plant compound, and to determine if a sources oil has been naturally sourced or if it contains any added chemicals or compounds. Certain plant compounds must meet or exceed specific levels to ensure the oil is natural, pure, and therapeutic-grade. Only then does Young Living guarantee the oil will provide the desired results and label it Young Living Therapeutic Grade™ (YLTG).
About Gary Young
After a crippling injury in his early adult years that nearly cost him his life, Gary Young dedicated his life to researching essential oils and natural ways to combat disease, preserve health, and promote natural and healthy lifestyles. Gary has since earned a degree in nutrition, a doctorate in naturopathy, and has gone on to become one of the foremost authorities on essential oils and their therapeutic value in the world.
Today, as founder and president of Young Living Essential Oils and The D. Gary Young Foundation, Gary Young travels throughout the world furthering his research, sharing his passion with others, and bringing therapeutic essential oils and humanitarian aid to those in need.
Gary Young Biography
The Raindrop Technique can be used on larger animals such as horses and dogs as well as people as Gary Young demonstrates.
Gary Young grew up in Idaho, and at the age of 17, moved to Canada to pursue a career in logging and ranching. At the age of 24, Young suffered a near–fatal logging accident that left him in a coma for three weeks. The accident left Young paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair. Depression set in and deepened until he decided it was time to make a change; Young wanted a better life than the one he was living. Three years after his accident, he began to regain feeling in his toes and legs. Gary Young then began using essential oils to relieve his pain and eventually he regained complete feeling and mobility. Thirteen years later, he ran a half marathon. And Gary Young decided to share his experience of the healing properties of essential oils with the world.
With Young Living Essential Oils and farms in Mona, Utah; Simiane La–Rotonde, France; St. Marie's, Idaho; and Guayaquil, Ecuador, Gary Young has made his dream of healing and helping others a reality. The farms grow many of the plants used to create therapeutic–grade Young Living Essential Oils, which are shared around the world through the growing network of Young Living distributors.
Gary Young recently traveled to the Amazon (Guayaquil, Ecuador to be exact) with dozens of Young Living distributors. For a week, distributors had the opportunity to see the farmland first–hand, see the process of distilling essential oils, and interact with Gary Young and each other.
Not only is Gary's personal story remarkable but he is a model of success in the business world as well. When interviewed by Utah Valley Business Q after Young Living was named number 7 out of the 15 top revenue companies in the valley, Young explained the reason for his success: "Splurge on your employees and cut back on expenditures and ostentatious displays of wealth in business and personal lifestyle…be honest, even when it challenges you financially." Young's statement is indicative of his charitable and genuine character.
Gary Young himself is a life–long student who understands and appreciates the importance of education and continual–learning. This is completely evident in Young's credentials and experience.
Gary Young has led a full, if sometimes difficult life, but sees the value in all of his life experiences, "I am grateful to my creator for giving me a second chance at life and for the blessing of being able to walk again. I want to share with others all over the world what I have discovered through my own healing."
Gary Young's Visions of the Young Living Farms
Gary Young began with one small plot of land totaling just a quarter of an acre in Spokane, Washington. Since then, Gary has established farms across the globe in Mona, Utah; St. Maries, Idaho; Simiane–la–Rotonde, France; and Guayaquil, Ecuador. Overseen by Gary, the farms are devoted to the development and research of essential oils.
Gary's vision for these farms is to grow the highest–quality plants on fertile soil in regions removed from areas of concentrated pollution in order to maintain a constant supply of 100% pure therapeutic–grade essential oils.
Throughout his life, Gary Young has been driven by his dedication, ambition, and desire to help others. As a result, Gary has become a successful businessman and a well–known humanitarian. Furthermore, Gary has an impressive and extensive list of achievements that have catapulted him into the position of one of the world's leading authorities on essential oils and natural health.
- In 1967, Gary Young graduated from Challis High School in Challis, Idaho.
- Between 1982 and 1985, Gary attended Bernadean University and earned a doctorate in naturopathy.
- During the late 1980s, Gary Young studied oncology, anatomy, chemistry, anesthesiology, biochemistry, and hematology with four doctors in Mexico.
- Gary worked with world-renowned expert J.C. Lapraz, MD, studying the effects of essential oils on the respiratory system.
- Gary continues to study the historical significance of essential oils in areas such as Israel, Jordan and Oman, and at leading universities in Turkey, France, Egypt, Switzerland, and England.
- Gary briefly studied at Anadolu University in Eskisehir, Turkey, studying gas chromatography and the chemistry and extraction of essential oils.
- From 1990 to 1994, Gary studied oil distillation in southern France.
Awards and Honors
- In 1985, Gary Young received the prestigious Humanitarian Award from State Medical Examiner’s office of Baja, California, after opening a natural healing research clinic. Gary was honored for his dedicated and extensive research and treatment of degenerative diseases.
- Gary designed and built advanced equipment for essential oil distillation that has garnered reviews from authorities, such as Marcel Espieu (former president of the Lavender Growers Association) and Jean–Noel Landel.
Gary Young's Published Books
Among his many achievements, Gary Young is also an accomplished writer. His books and published papers illustrate his passion and knowledge of essential oils and natural health.
- Aromatherapy: The Essential Beginning - a simple, easy–to–grasp look at the power of aromatherapy.
- Essential Oils Integrative Medical Guide: Building Immunity, Increasing Longevity, and Enhancing Mental Performance with Therapeutic–Grade Essential Oils - Compiled from years of research, Gary Young provides a detailed overview of a wide variety of essential oils and how to utilize their powerful healing properties and health benefits.
- Pregnenolone: A Radical New Approach to Health, Longevity, and Emotional Well–Being - a unique collection of facts regarding the multiple benefits of Pregnenolone, a natural hormone that's a precursor to many other hormones, including testosterone and estrogen.
- An Introduction to Young Living Essential Oils - Perfect for beginners and experts alike, Gary Young provides an introduction into Young Living's immense collection of therapeutic–grade essential oils.
- A New Route to Robust Health - Young illustrates how strength training and the right supplements can work together to support longevity and excellent health.
- Raindrop Technique - A step–by–step through Gary Young's renowned Raindrop Technique®.
- The Truth Behind Growth Hormone: Its Promise and Its Peril - Explores the pros and cons of growth hormone and how to safely unlock its benefits.
- Discovery of the Ultimate Superfood - Discusses the studies and the science inherent in the Ningxia wolfberry, which he first brought to the United States from China in 2000. He discusses in detail the benefits of the revered wolfberry and how it can be combined with other whole foods to create a true superfood.
Gary Young's Published Papers
- Journal of Essential Oil Research 1998; 10: 517—523 "Effect of a Diffused Essential Oil Blend on Bacterial Bioaerosols."
- Journal of Essential Oil Research 2000; 12: 639—649 "Screening for Inhibitory Activity of Essential Oils on Selected Bacteria, Fungi, and Viruses."
- Journal of Essential Oil Research 2001; 13: 387—392 "Antimicrobial Effects of Essential Oils on Streptococcus pneumoniae."
- Journal of Essential Oil Research 2003; 15: 425—427 "Composition of the Oils of Three Chrysothamnus nauseousus Varieties."
- International Conference on Essential Oils and Aroma Materias, Guangxi Guilin, China 2004; 178—190 "Comparative Study of the Essential Oils of Three Betula Species B. alleghaniensis, B. lenta, and B. pendula."
- The Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association 2004; 7(1): 32—38 "Pre–Clinical Study: Antioxidant Levels and Immunomodulatory Effects of Wolfberry Juice and other Juice Mixtures in Mice."
- Journal of the Utah Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters 2005; 82: 50—59 "Inhibition of LPS Induced Nitric Oxide Production in Murine RAW Macrophage–like Cells by Essential Oils of Plants."
- Journal of Essential Oil Research 2007; 19: 525—526 "Essential Oil of Bursera graveolens (Kunth) Triana et Planch from Ecuador."
- International Food Chemistry Conference SICC–5, Singapore 2007 (poster present) "Inhibitory Activity of Essential Oils Toward Cellular Proliferation in a Lung Carcinoma Cell Line."
- Flavour and Fragrance Journal (under the press) 2008 "Inhibition of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) by Essential Oils."
Gary Young's Charity
Gary Young has dedicated his life, time, resources, and energy to helping others. His nonprofit charity, His nonprofit charity, The D. Gary Young Foundation, is instrumental in bringing aid to those who need it most. With heartfelt compassion and a commitment to enhance the quality of life for people everywhere, Young and the foundation provide educational, economic, and medical support to individuals and communities worldwide.
From donating time and funding to building schools in rural areas, no matter what the cause or project, Gary Young knows the true value of serving others.
Throughout Gary Young's travels, he's seen first–hand the harsh realities of poverty and illness affecting much of the world. His experiences inspired him to start The D. Gary Young Foundation, which has offered aid to numerous projects and causes, including:
- Building a new elementary school in Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Tsunami relief
- Hurricane Katrina
- Miners' aide
- The Cinterandes Foundation mobile surgery unit
Through The D. Gary Young Foundation, Gary and his wife Mary will also supply the school with enough books for every child, new desks, chalkboards, and a clean environment to foster education and learning.
Gary Young's Humanitarian Aid
Gary Young has not only led his company, Young Living Essential Oils, in generously aiding those in need throughout the world, but has also served as an inspiration for Young Living Essential Oils employees and distributors to serve others through their own humanitarian efforts.
The Tarahumara Indians
In November of 2003, Gary Young led a team of hand–picked Young Living Essential Oils executives and distributors on a humanitarian expedition to northern Mexico. The goal of the expedition was to provide the Tarahumara Indians with food, school supplies, and other daily necessities. Gary and the team also cleared the land and provided the materials to build a new school house and community well for two of their villages.
The Indian Ocean Tsunami
On December 26, 2004, a powerful earthquake triggered one of the deadliest and most destructive tsunamis in history. The tsunami left more than 150,000 dead in its path with millions more left homeless in 11 different countries around the Indian Ocean.
Since the disaster, Gary Young, through Young Living Essential Oils, has donated essential oils to help relieve the stress and anguish of tsunami victims.
Gary Young's personal dedication to humanitarian efforts paved the way for Young Living to provide aid to Hurricane Katrina victims. Aside from generous corporate donations made by Young Living Essential Oils, Gary and Young Living provided hygiene kits used in the relief efforts to help victims stay healthy.
During the rescue and recovery efforts after the 9/11 tragedy, Gary, through Young Living, donated essential oils for firefighters to use as they worked among the debris.
Serving the Community
Gary Young, both as an individual and as head of Young Living Essential Oils, is constantly seeking to support and serve those in the community. In August 2004, Gary personally assisted in the search for a missing 12–year–old boy in the rugged Uinta Mountains of Utah. He rode his horse through the rocky terrain in search of the young boy and loaned horses to other volunteers.
School Building Project
In 2003, Gary Young led a humanitarian expedition to the Sierra Madre Mountains of northern Mexico to aid the Tarahumara Indians. While there, Gary and his team not only delivered food and children's school kits to the village of Coyachique, they also provided the building materials for a new schoolhouse. The team raised the support structure and roof of the school, and then cleared land to build a second schoolhouse in a neighboring village.
Gary Young is also deeply involved in a school building project in Ecuador. One of Gary's many excursions took him to Guayaquil, Ecuador, in search of natural remedies indigenous to the area. While he was there, Gary observed the poor conditions of Guayaquil's only elementary school. The one–room school housed 42 students who were taught three days a week by a volunteer teacher. With limited resources, the students were forced to share supplies, use broken desks, and learn on a damaged chalkboard.
Due to his compassionate and charitable character, Gary Young was moved to take action. Through The D. Gary Young Foundation, Gary facilitated the building of a new Chongon School. Construction is underway and the electrical work is complete.
The project is very near and dear to Gary and soon the children of Guayaquil will be able to enjoy an enhanced learning environment with new supplies, learning equipment, and for the very first time, a playground. To learn more on how you can contribute, please visit the official website of The D. Gary Young Foundation.